ADSM-L

upgrade path from 3590E to 3592

2004-10-22 11:53:56
Subject: upgrade path from 3590E to 3592
From: Eliza Lau <lau AT VTCAT.CC.VT DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:53:51 -0400
We have a 3494 tape library with six 3590E drives.
I am looking into upgrading the 3590E drives to 3592 drives.

current setup:
TSM server 5.2.3.3 on AIX 5.2
3494 with 3 frames: one L12 and two D12s
six 3590E tape drives
server and 3590E drives connected to two 2109 SAN switches.

Because of budget constrains I am thinking of replacing a frame and
two 3590E drives at a time and spread out the cost over 3 years.

Can someone give me a rough cost estimate before I even propose it.
Is there anything I missed in the following 3yr plan?

Year 1:
convert the frame L12 to L22
replace two 3590E with 3592
300 new 2592 tapes