ADSM-L

Re: RECLAMATION

2004-10-18 20:08:11
Subject: Re: RECLAMATION
From: Orville Lantto <orville.lantto AT DATATREND DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:07:53 -0500
I design my storage pools to attempt to get whole tapes to expire in a
short time.  This requires a fair number of Primary disk and tape pools as
well as their matching copy pools.  Reclamation I view as a way to manage
the number of scratch tapes.  I vary the reclamation percentage to suit my
management's ability to supply funds to buy more tapes.  Over the last few
years, this has meant reclaiming at as low as  25% empty.  This puts a lot
of wear on the tapes and drives, but was necessary to meet management's
short term requirements.

Orville L. Lantto
Datatrend Technologies, Inc.  (http://www.datatrend.com)
IBM Premier Business Partner
121 Cheshire Lane, Suite 700
Minnetonka, MN 55305
Email: Orville.Lantto AT datatrend DOT com

and privileged information. Any  unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
message.

Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
10/18/04 03:04 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: RECLAMATION

>What is the IDEAL pct for reclamation, I use 65pct should I go lower

100%.  One would want all tape contents to expire unto themselves, and
have such a large number of tapes that the consumptive thing called
reclamations would not be necessary.  But: this is the real world, and
we need reclamation to get back needed space and consolidate data so
that restorals don't involve a ridiculous number of mounts.
The value you choose is determined by your circumstances, observing
the above factors.

   Richard Sims