ADSM-L

Re: Splitting apart a Tivoli DB

2004-10-14 11:59:04
Subject: Re: Splitting apart a Tivoli DB
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:58:54 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Chris Hund
>Has anyone ever had to break apart a Tivoli DB into smaller
>DB's?  Possibly spreading those DB's out across different
>volume groups on different nodes?  I'm told this is possible.
>I was also told that as your TSM DB approaches 30GB, you might
>want to think about breaking it apart.
>
>I'm looking for some instructions on how to do this (assuming
>it's possible).  Any thoughts of suggestions would be great
>appreciated.

30GB is a little small for such consideration. Properly configured
databases, spread across fast spindles, should perform well at twice the
size.

Create a new TSM instance or installation, and point half of the
existing nodes to the new server. Use the EXPORT NODE command to send
all node data for the moved nodes from one server to another. (Warning:
you should perform no backups (and very few other processes) involving
the node being exported while running the export.) Once the node is
exported, delete all reference to the node on the old TSM server.

Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627