ADSM-L

Re: Splitting apart a Tivoli DB

2004-10-14 11:58:35
Subject: Re: Splitting apart a Tivoli DB
From: Daniel Sparrman <Daniel.Sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:58:07 +0200
Hi

Dont know who told you about the need to break a 30GB database apart. For
what reason?

We have a 160GB database running smoothly. No need to break it apart as we
dont see any performance degradation. Only thing you'll need as your
database grows is hardware that will met up with the requirements of TSM.

Breaking apart your TSM server into smaller pieces will only mean you'll
need to manage, monitor and hardwareupgrade multiple instances of TSM
instead of just doing it with one instance. This will make the TSM system
aquire more time for daily operations from the TSM administrator(s) and
will also make future upgrades more expensive as you will need to
upgradeHW on each TSM server individually.

My vote goes for consolidation, not deconsolidation. Havent seen any
problems this far that can be solved either through looking over the TSM
server configuration and making adjustments or by upgrading existing
hardware.

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
-----------------------------------
Daniel Sparrman
Chef Utveckling & Drift
Exist i Stockholm AB
Propellervägen 6B
183 62 TÄBY
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

Chris Hund <CHund AT BENESIGHT DOT COM>
2004-10-14 17:43
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Splitting apart a Tivoli DB

Good morning fellow admins,

Has anyone ever had to break apart a Tivoli DB into smaller DB's? Possibly
spreading those DB's out across different volume groups on different
nodes?  I'm told this is possible.  I was also told that as your TSM DB
approaches 30GB, you might want to think about breaking it apart.

I'm looking for some instructions on how to do this (assuming it's
possible).  Any thoughts of suggestions would be great appreciated.

Thank you,
Chris Hund
UNIX/TSM Admin
Firserv Health