ADSM-L

Re: Conversion to 3592 tapes...

2004-10-14 10:26:54
Subject: Re: Conversion to 3592 tapes...
From: John Naylor <John.Naylor AT SCOTTISH-SOUTHERN.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:25:51 +0100
David,
I assume  from your note that you are retaining the 9840 drives and  the
problem is just that they are over subscribed.
So assuming you will have still have reduced access to the 9840 drives , I
would have just made your existing 9840 tapes read only and changed your
disk storage pool/s destination to a tape pool using  the  new 3592
devices.
That way you will only have  the new backups and their copies going to
3592's, and if your 4 @ 3592 drives are not enough to cope then I would
get more.
Over time as the old 9840 data expires and you need to get off the 9840
drives completely  you will have much less data to move.
John

David Moore <David.Moore AT la DOT gov>
Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu>
14/10/2004 14:37
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu>

ADSM-L AT vm.marist DOT edu
cc

Subject
Conversion to 3592 tapes...

Hello List -

We're running TSM 5.2.3 on z/OS 1.2.  Current 9840 tape breakdown: TAPECOL
= about 400, TAPENON = about 200, TAPEARCHIVE = 22.

Due to competing resources, I was told to convert TSM to use the 3592
tapes (300GB capacity) rather than the 9840 tapes (20 GB capacity) that we
have exclusively utilized since TSM was installed at my site.  Currently
we have only 4 3592 drives, so my plan was to convert only my COPYPOOL to
3592's at this time; then, follow with my primary pools when I have more
drives at a later date.

I created the TSM device and the new copy storage pool.  Then, I kicked
off a backup of the TAPEARCHIVE storage pool to my new 3592 COPY POOL and
quickly found that it was doing a complete copy to the new pool (of all 22
tapes), rather than just copying the most recent changes (apparently, TSM
'knows' the new copy pool doesn't have any of the data yet, so it sends it
all).

This instantly made my life more difficult.  These tapes are copying over
at a rate of about 1 per hour.  Not really a problem for 22 tapes, but a
huge problem for 400 and for 200.  Now that I've described the problem,
does anyone have any suggestions?

Is there a faster way to copy the data from one storage pool to another?
Should I buy more drives and convert my primary pools before the copy
pool?  Will this even buy me an advantage or will TSM 'know' that the new
primary pool doesn't have any of the data, so it will send it all from my
185 nodes?
Should I phase in a conversion of my primary pools to the 3592's, copying
them to the new 3592 copy pool?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks, in advance.

Dave.

The information in this E-Mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It may not represent the views of Scottish and Southern
Energy Group.
It is intended solely for the addressees. Access to this E-Mail by
any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted
Any unauthorised recipient should advise the sender immediately of
the error in transmission.

Scottish Hydro-Electric, Southern Electric, SWALEC and S+S
are trading names of the Scottish and Southern Energy Group.