ADSM-L

Conversion to 3592 tapes...

2004-10-14 09:40:12
Subject: Conversion to 3592 tapes...
From: David Moore <David.Moore AT LA DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:37:23 -0500
Hello List -

We're running TSM 5.2.3 on z/OS 1.2.  Current 9840 tape breakdown: TAPECOL =
about 400, TAPENON = about 200, TAPEARCHIVE = 22.

Due to competing resources, I was told to convert TSM to use the 3592 tapes
(300GB capacity) rather than the 9840 tapes (20 GB capacity) that we have
exclusively utilized since TSM was installed at my site.  Currently we have
only 4 3592 drives, so my plan was to convert only my COPYPOOL to 3592's at
this time; then, follow with my primary pools when I have more drives at a
later date.

I created the TSM device and the new copy storage pool.  Then, I kicked off a
backup of the TAPEARCHIVE storage pool to my new 3592 COPY POOL and quickly
found that it was doing a complete copy to the new pool (of all 22 tapes),
rather than just copying the most recent changes (apparently, TSM 'knows' the
new copy pool doesn't have any of the data yet, so it sends it all).

This instantly made my life more difficult.  These tapes are copying over at a
rate of about 1 per hour.  Not really a problem for 22 tapes, but a huge
problem for 400 and for 200.  Now that I've described the problem, does anyone
have any suggestions?

Is there a faster way to copy the data from one storage pool to another?
Should I buy more drives and convert my primary pools before the copy pool?
Will this even buy me an advantage or will TSM 'know' that the new primary pool
doesn't have any of the data, so it will send it all from my 185 nodes?
Should I phase in a conversion of my primary pools to the 3592's, copying them
to the new 3592 copy pool?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks, in advance.

Dave.