ADSM-L

Re: Cannot see File Level Information for NDMP Backup/Restore

2004-10-13 12:56:19
Subject: Re: Cannot see File Level Information for NDMP Backup/Restore
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 12:55:44 -0400
Hello!

I don't mean to barge in on the conversation, but I am in the process of
setting up the web client for NDMP backups and I was wondering if anyone
would be able to tell  me what I am doing wrong?

We have successfully backed up and restored NDMP backed up data, but I
would like to get to the file-level restore capability.  I have already
configured a node called hmdm2 with type=nas.  We have installed the web
client and the CAD through the Windows gui.  What I am wondering is:

1.  Do I need to put nasnodename hmdm2 in the dsm.opt file?

2.  Do I also need to register a regular client node or do I leave the
nodename parameter out of the dsm.opt file entirely?

3.  I am a little confused on step 5 in the below documentation.  How do
you login as an admin?  Do you mean on the TSM server web gui?  Also in
step 6 you say you will see the filer within the web client?  How/where
would I view this?  We have an EMC NS704G, but I would assume it works in
the same manner...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

********************************
Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems
Work:(717)302-6603
Fax:(717)302-5974
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com
********************************

             "sankar
             knowledge"
             <sankar_knowledge                                          To
             @YAHOO.COM>               ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Sent by: "ADSM:                                            cc
             Dist Stor
             Manager"                                              Subject
             <[email protected]         Re: Cannot see File Level
             .EDU>                     Information for NDMP Backup/Restore

             10/13/2004 01:31
             AM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

Dear Rajesh Oak,

Pls follow this steps , the u can able to restore and see a file level
information

This technote provides you with the steps to restore a single file on a
Network Appliance (NetApp) Filer using IBM Tivoli Storage Manager 5.2. To
accomplish this restore, use the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Web based
backup/archive client to restore your data that has been backed up by NDMP.

The installation of the NDMP backup can be done according to the
administration guide. The single file restore using the IBM Tivoli Storage
Manager Web based backup/archive client under Windows  can be found in the
desciption below.

You should follow these steps:

1. Create a client 'PCTEST' on the server. (PCTEST is our name for this
example).

2. Install the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Web based backup/archive client
on any Windows. It is important that the client has to be installed on a
Windows platform.

3. Make sure you install the IBM Tivoli Storage ManagerWeb based
backup/archive client using the setup wizard. This also installs the 'TSM
Client Acceptor Service' on the local machine.

4. Start the IBM Tivoli Storage ManagerWeb based backup/archive client.
This can be done as soon as the 'TSM Client Acceptor Service' runs. To
start the client, use a Web browser using the address
'http://localhost:1581' (or your local IP address).

5. Now log on as an administrator. It is very imporntant to use the
administrative account and not the client account. To do so, the following
two parameters must be set:
passwordaccess=generate (on the client)
authentification=on (on the server)

To display NAS nodes and perform NAS functions, enter an authorized
adminstrative ID and password. The authorized administrative user ID should
have at least client owner authority over both the NAS node and the client
workstation node.

6. Now logon as an administrator, and you will see the the NDMP NetApp
Filer within the IBM Tivoli Storage ManagerWeb-Client. This functionality
is not available with the normal IBM Tivoli Storage Manager backup/archive
client.

7. Next, select the backup that you would like to restore by clicking on it
and the table of contents will be displayed. Select the file or files that
should be restored. By following these steps a restore of single files is
easily possible

rgds.......
Shankar CH

Rajesh Oak <rajeshoak AT LYCOS DOT COM> wrote:
We just implemented TSM NDMP Backup for our Filer. All the Volumes backed
up successfully. But when I launched the Web Client to look for File Level
Information, there is none. All that comes up on the Restore window are the
NAS Volumes.
I then tried to go into the Backup to test a backup and even there I can
see just the volumes.
I followed the exact documented procedures from the Redbook.

What could be the problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Rajesh Oak
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan