ADSM-L

Re: Versioning

2004-10-12 14:47:33
Subject: Re: Versioning
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:47:08 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Richard Mochnaczewski
>We are currently implementing Tivoli as our backup soltuion
>for all our AIX and Windows servers. As far as versioning, is
>there some sort of guideline most people are using as far as
>number of verisons of a specific file to keep ? We are
>primarily a software production house and I'm trying  to
>figure out what is the mose useful versioning route to go by.

The number of versions to be kept is bound by your library's capacity,
and should be kept in line with your business needs. The vast majority
of file restores will be the most recent version of the file that is
available, with the exception of development servers, where coders and
developers may want to go back several versions.

Your best bet is to start small (backup copygroups defaults are a good
place to start), and increase the number of retained copies *slowly*,
and only as much as (reasonable) user demand requires.

Your Mileage May Vary.

Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627