ADSM-L

Re: What is everybody using for Netware backups as far as versions of TSM and TSA/SMDR

2004-10-08 18:18:30
Subject: Re: What is everybody using for Netware backups as far as versions of TSM and TSA/SMDR
From: Troy Frank <Troy.Frank AT UWMF.WISC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 16:16:55 -0500
Since TSM doesn't use the native tsagw interface, you almost have to use
St. Bernard OFM.  The only other alternative I know of is to run a cron
job to stop the poa/mta before the backup, and guestimate when to bring
them back up.  As far as I've seen though, using the OFM combo works
just fine.  I've had to do several restores in the last 6 months, and
they all went off without a hitch.  It is relatively annoying however,
that you have to restore an entire PO just to get back a few deleted
messages from one user's mailbox.  GW6.5 has features to allow that
without restoring the whole PO, but that requires more disk space than
we have available.  If possible, it's also a good idea to have the
backup window be different from the window when post office maintennace
is running.   Slows things down like crazy here, but we can't avoid it.

Troy Frank
Network Services
University of Wisconsin Medical Foundation
608.829.5384

Peter Hadikin wrote:

>Hello everybody,
>
>Netware seems to be the one environment where I find the stars need
>be aligned properly for everything to work for backups and restores.
>am wondering what version of TSM client and what versions of
>TSAFS/TSA600/SMDR everybody is using out there for both Netware 6 and
>Netware 6.5 servers. Anybody have any thoughts or recommendations?
>
>Have a super weekend,
>Peter

Hi ,

Since we took a poll early this week I would like to take a small
survey
in regards to Novell Netware and GroupWise. What is everybodies
overall
satisfaction with the Netware/GroupWise support under TSM. How do you
typically manage the Netware data (basically the question and above).
Also, how is everybody managing the GroupWise data? Do you do cold
backups or use St. Bernard OFM (or some other OFM type product)?
Anybody try writing there own interface through the API? Is there any
3rd party SW for GroupWise that works with TSM?

I personally have not done much with Novell in a TSM environment, but
am running into more customers that have it. Any comments or
experiences that you have and would like to share would be
appreciated.

Thank You.

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE
Confidentiality Notice follows:

The information in this message (and the documents attached to it, if any)
is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for
the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized. If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution
or any action taken, or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in
error, please delete all electronic copies of this message (and the
documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard copies you may have
created and notify me immediately by replying to this email. Thank you.