ADSM-L

Re: dsmc command question?

2004-10-06 14:04:16
Subject: Re: dsmc command question?
From: Mike <mikee AT MIKEE.ATH DOT CX>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:06:32 -0500
On Wed, 06 Oct 2004, Andrew Raibeck wrote:

> > Another suggestion?
>
> Off-hand, no, but I really don't have enough info to go on to know what
> you are going after.
>
> > I'm not able to get 'q backup FILESPACE' to work.
>
> What specifically are you doing, and what output are you seeing? I always
> encourage copy & paste of actual commands and output, in addition to
> verbal descriptions :-)
>
> This will allow me (or others) to provide more specific answers since
> we'll see exactly what you are doing, and what exactly you are getting as
> a result.

Specifically I'm writing a program in perl to audit the files on the
live filesystems with respect to the files stored in TSM. Previously I
posted a simple program in C (M$ Visual C++ 5.0) that performs this
same function, but I prefer to have the program in PERL. Currently the
program scans the live filesystems to grab a list of all files. Then
the program executes 'q files' to get a list of filespaces stored in
TSM. The next step I'm having problems with. Using the list of filespaces
I execute "dsmc q backup $FILESPACE -su=yes -filesonly". On the
command line (typed by hand) this command works. I'm thinking there
is some evaluation going on withing the PERL program that is preventing
any output. If I could even get error output to determine the problem,
that would help.

The thought that some evaluation is happening and causing the problem
is why I am trying to access the filespace using the FSID.

As with the previous program, I'm happy to post the new program for
all to use.

Mike