ADSM-L

Re: Message ANR9613W

2004-10-05 16:34:35
Subject: Re: Message ANR9613W
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 16:01:22 -0400
On Oct 5, 2004, at 3:39 PM, Jim Sporer wrote:

We were running TSM server version 5.2.2.4 on an AIX 5.1
machine.  Yesterday we moved the TSM server to a new AIX machine
running
AIX 5.2.  We installed TSM server version 5.2.2.4 on the new machine
so the
only difference was we are running AIX 5.2.  We restored the TSM
database
to the new server and that went ok.  We started the server and got
message
"ANR9613W error loading the  ./dsmlicense for licensing function: Exec
format error".  At that point client nodes could not perform backups
because of a licensing issue, ANR0439W was the message we were
getting.  I
did a search on the message ANR9613W at IBM.COM and one of the hits was
something about using a down level C library, xlc.rte 5.0.2.1.  We are
using xlc.rte 6.0.0.0 on the new aix machine.  I decided to move the
./dsmlicense file from the old machine to the new machine and when I
restarted the TSM server it came up without the error.  Has anybody
seen
anything like this?
Jim Sporer

Jim - From my programming notes:

    Exec format error
       Typically, you compiled a program on a system running at a higher
       level of the operating system than the system on which you try to run
       the program.
       Unless the special measures are taken when a developer compiles an
       application, the linker designates some libraries to be bound to the
       application and loaded with the application only at run time.  Many of
       these libraries change from version to version on AIX.  An application
       compiled on one version of AIX will store pointers to the locations of
       the functions in the dynamically bound libraries.  If the compiled
       application is moved to a different version of AIX, the functions will
       not be at the address to which the pointers refer, and the system will
       send an "Exec format error".

My guess would be that the license file is inappropriate to that server.

   Richard Sims