ADSM-L

Performance drops in the middle of a file

2004-10-02 08:19:27
Subject: Performance drops in the middle of a file
From: "Thomas Rupp, Vorarlberger Illwerke AG" <Thomas.Rupp AT ILLWERKE DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 14:21:35 +0200
Hi TSM-ers ,

TSM server:     4.2.2.8 on IBM H50 with AIX 5.1 ML2, 1GB Memory, GigaBit
Ethernet, 3494 libary with 2x 3590 drives
TSM Client:     Windows 2000, TSM 5.1.5, 1.5GB Memory, Disks on IBM ESS

I backup big Outlook .PST Files directly to tape.
When TSM starts to backup big files (>300MB) I see on the AIX server
with topas a
throughput of up to 24M (readch/writech).
But in the middle of the file it drops to as low as 3000K.
CPU utilisation drops from 60% to 15%. No Wait at any time.

I'm not very familiar with performance on AIX because our TSM server was
bought as
a black box (kind of).

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks in advance!