ADSM-L

Backup strategy - confused

2004-10-01 14:15:52
Subject: Backup strategy - confused
From: Sandra <sadi AT SUPER.NET DOT PK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 23:24:35 +0500
Dear List,

1-
Where can I put the strategy to keep data fbackedup for say 18 months or may be
1 year. Backup Grace Period or retain extra versions or retain only version?

2-
I am taking full backup of a system and want to achieve the following: correct
me please I amy sound wrong here:
a- Include.backup "/usr/abc/def/*" ABC-MANAGEMENT-CLASS1
b- Include.backup "/opt/tivoli/tsm/*" TIVOLI-MANAGEMENT-CLASS2
c- Include.image "/*" DEF-MANAGEMENT-CLASS3
There is another managmeent class restofdata-management-class0 which i can make
default one.

Now, when I initiate normal incremental backup from schedule or GUI of client:
what would happen?
Please correct me:
a- 2(a) will be appplied and the files in /usr/abc/def" folder will be subjected
to setting of  ABC-MANAGEMENT-CLASS1 management class.
b- 2(b) will be applied to the folder /opt/tivoli/tsm/ and files will be
subjected to the management class TIVOLI-MANAGEMENT-CLASS2.
c- Incremental backup will ignore include.image that is 2(c).
d- The rest of the data will go to the default management class.

3-
If I am going to initiate image backup, it will be subjected to the management
class of  DEF-MANAGEMENT-CLASS3, irrespective of any data backedup by
incremental backups.

I wonder if I am going in the right direction or not? Please enlighten me !!

Sandra