ADSM-L

Re: Weird tape utilization (the story continues...)

2004-10-01 09:47:44
Subject: Re: Weird tape utilization (the story continues...)
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 09:49:32 -0400
After I received this message, I started investigating my TSM server tape
utilization.

I have to agree that I think this should be called a "bug" not WAD.

I found 128 tapes in FILLING status when I only have 80-nodes (of which 15
go to a non-collocated pool).

Since yesterday, I have been checking every tape in FILLING status, only
to find dozens that are barely used (< 5%) and haven't been used in many
months.  I have started randomly picking these tapes and performing MOVE
DATA on them, to the same stgpool.

I have gone from 128 to 99 tape in FILLING status, this morning and am
still checking/moving data !

I am not going to press this issue since my server is a little behind
(z/OS 5.1.8.3) and will be updating to the latest, soon, hopefully finding
something along the way that will adress this issue !

"Loon, E.J. van - SPLXM" <Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT COM>
09/27/2004 10:23 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Weird tape utilization (the story continues...)

About two weeks ago I asked on this list how TSM could have more than one
filling tape for a collocated node. We indeed discovered that when TSM
cannot append to an existing filling tape ((during migration, because the
client is backing up directly to that tape or because a client restore is
running) TSM will allocate a new tape and it will not use the 'old'
filling
tape anymore. Even when the new one is full, it will not continue to use
the
'old' filling one.
Well, I have tried convincing IBM support that this is a bug, but I keep
on
receiving the answer that this behavior is 'working as designed'.
So, although you think you have an automated backup application, you will
have to monitor it periodically, because you will waist perfectly good
tapes, which will hang around in you system forever (or at least until ALL
files on it expire, which can take a VERY long time.
The SQL statement Neil created (below) will certainly be useful in this
situation.
Thank you all for your help!
Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon