ADSM-L

Re: Storport or SCSIport drivers in W2K3?

2004-09-30 19:46:35
Subject: Re: Storport or SCSIport drivers in W2K3?
From: Hunny Kershaw <hunnychka AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:48:24 -0700

It will be documented in the device readme (README.DEV).

Regards,

Hunny Kershaw

             Neil Schofield
             <neil.schofield@Y
             ORKSHIREWATER.CO.                                          To
             UK>                       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Sent by: "ADSM:                                            cc
             Dist Stor
             Manager"                                              Subject
             <[email protected]         Re: Storport or SCSIport drivers in
             .EDU>                     W2K3?

             09/30/2004 04:10
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"

Thanks for the replies.

Hunny Kershaw wrote:
> Currently, the TSM device driver does not support Storport drivers. So =
> if
> your tape drives or library are controlled by the TSM device driver, yo=
> will need to use the SCSI port drivers.

Interesting. Is this documented anywhere? If I can't use TSMSCSI.SYS with
Storport drivers, it will definitely be SCSIport drivers for me. Anybody
know if and when Storport support might be introduced for the TSM device
driver?

TSM_User wrote:
> Actually there is 3 types of drivers, SCSCI Port Miniport, Storport, and
FC Port .  We have always used the FC Port drivers.  I blieve the
difference is that with FC Port you can set up persistant binding.

We are using persistent bindings with the SCSIPort drivers. It's not done
natively in the Emulex driver (LPXNDS.SYS). You have to use the Emulex
'adjunct' or 'value-add' driver LPXFTR.SYS to provide this functionality. I
believe the same is true with the Emulex Storport driver too.

TSM_User wrote:
> So far I believe Storport has really been taken advantage of in the disk
world although it is supposed to work with tape.

We've not got many SAN-attached Windows 2003 systems yet, so I'm trying to
set some standards early on. I will definitely have some accessing disk,
some accessing tape and possibly some accessing both. Ideally they would
all use the same model - either SCSIport or Storport - but perhaps that's
asking too much.

Thanks again for responding.
Regards
Neil Schofield

Take a tour of a virtual waste water treatment works at
http://www.wastewatertour.com
The information in this e-mail is confidential and may also be legally
privileged. The contents are intended for recipient only and are subject
to the legal notice available at http://www.keldagroup.com/email.htm
Yorkshire Water Services Limited
Registered Office Western House Halifax Road Bradford BD6 2SZ
Registered in England and Wales No 2366682

GIF image

GIF image

GIF image