ADSM-L

Re: Adding 3592's to a 3494

2004-09-30 14:58:51
Subject: Re: Adding 3592's to a 3494
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:00:05 -0400
On Sep 30, 2004, at 2:36 PM, Ben Bullock wrote:

        Won't I be OK having the 3590 and 3592 drives in the same
scratch and private categories? The TSM server is smart enough to know
which scratch tapes can go in which drives... No? Is that a wrong
assumption on my part?

Watch out for computers - they tend to do just what you tell them to.
Think back to the earliest days of the 3494, when it handled the
mutually incompatible 3490 and 3590 - requiring separate category
codes. Same situation with 3590 and 3592.
Checkin is via Library definition, and incompatible devices require
distinct category code specs, and so separate Library definitions.
We'll have to deal with more complexity in the transition, but, then,
consider how much we get paid to do so...

  Richard Sims