ADSM-L

Re: direct attached disk (DAS) at a tape library?

2004-09-29 08:13:05
Subject: Re: direct attached disk (DAS) at a tape library?
From: Bill Smoldt <smoldt AT STORSOL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 06:14:44 -0600
Mark,

No, a VTL that worked in a SAN environment wouldn't need the same code as
SANergy because there would be no need for a shared file system - access to
the volumes would be shared, but sequential and locked during use by any
node by the mount code.

Having said that, I don't know if existing products even try to work in the
SAN, much less play with TSM in a SAN.  They would have to expose the tape
device driver over the fiber. If it was designed properly, this might be the
one reason to use such a device with TSM.  The idea of adding a virtual tape
layer to a product that is already designed for disk storage pools is
otherwise lame and bound to be fraught with new issues to resolve.

Bill Smoldt
STORServer, Inc.