ADSM-L

Re: direct attached disk (DAS) at a tape library?

2004-09-28 16:39:01
Subject: Re: direct attached disk (DAS) at a tape library?
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:40:42 -0400
==> In article <DCDADCD5729B7749A817C533425F93E3170CEC AT
aplesliberty.dom1.jhuapl DOT edu>, "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL
DOT EDU> writes:

> But,
> BE VERY CAREFUL about the quality of disk you buy, if that is going to be
> your only copy of the data.
> DO NOT THINK that you can't lose a RAID array; I have seen it happen, twice.
> It depends TOTALLY on the quality of the controller card in the RAID array.
> If it goes south, all you've got is a bunch of unrelated magnetized bits on
> your disk.

I second the motion.  We've had RAID controllers go belly-up before, too.
Eugh.

> And for sites that have ARCHIVE or HSM data (which may not exist any more on
> the client machines), there is NO magnetic media reliable enough that you
> can be safe with just 1 copy (except maybe those tapes they put in airline
> black-boxes, but I don't know where to buy those :>).

That's a wire spool.  And unfortunately it's a loop; (like an 8-track) so it's
not really useful for us.

- Allen S. Rout