ADSM-L

Re: Backup Window is taking time

2004-09-27 07:13:42
Subject: Re: Backup Window is taking time
From: Dwight Cook <cookde AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 07:11:17 -0400

standard performance tuning

could be your oracle servers aren't powerful enough to process the data...
      not enough band width in your network
      not powerful enough TSM server(s)

generally Oracle data bases (with an average amount of free space
internally) will compress down about 3/1

if you have a 100 MB/sec interface, that is roughly 40 GB/hr and at 3/1
compression that would be 120 GB/hr of oracle .dbf's

if you are doing anything slower, need to performance tune and look at
processor upgrade

on your tsm server... depending on what network interface(s) it has,
100 MB/sec is 40 GB/hr...
gig-e is about 450 GB/hr...

I have P630's that I shove peaks of 250 GB/sec into gig-e interfaces which
equates to around 750 GB/hr of .dbf space
I try to balance out multiple interfaces and load up each around 100-150
GB/hr and peak the server at 250-ish GB/hr

One shop I have 5 TSM servers processing peaks of 600 GB/hr of compressed
data (and we see about 3.8/1 compression) so that is about 2,280 GB/hr of
Oracle data base space (large SAP servers).   That rate drops down over a
12 hour period pushing a total of 4-5 TB compressed data nightly which is
about 15.2-19 TB of client file space data nightly on an average night...

and for such issues as ~seemingly poor performance~  information on client
processor, tsm server processor, code versions, network topology is helpful
:-)

Dwight E. Cook
Systems Management Integration Professional, Advanced
Integrated Storage Management
TSM Administration
(918) 925-8045

             Akash Jain
             <akashj@IBILTTECH
             NOLOGIES.COM>                                              To
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Backup Window is taking time

             09/26/2004 11:20
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"

Hi,

From past so many days we are facing problem while taking backup. Our
backup
window increases from 6 –8 hours to 12 hours.

We are using TSM as a backup solution and scheduling backup for Oracle Apps
and databases running on AIX 4.3.3.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks and Regards
Akash