ADSM-L

TDP SQL Performance question

2004-09-24 15:59:51
Subject: TDP SQL Performance question
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 13:01:17 -0700
Using the information below does anyone have any ideas on what we might change
to get more peformance?

We recently started testing a 2.4 TB MS SQL database for backup and recovery.
We were able to get 436 GB/hr for the backup and 299 GB/hr for the restore.
This was a LANFree backup with 10 stripes to 10 9840 drives.  All of the
tracing we have looked at so far from a hardware perspective has lead us to
believe there are no bottlenecks on the hardware.

For this test I set all the TDP performance options to their max as follows:
buffers 8
buffersize 8192
sqlbuffers 0 (this means us as many as required)
sqlbuffersize 4096

For my next test I am going to lower some of these settings. I was wondering if
anyone else changed these settings for large MS SQL databases and if so what
they found?

Here are the specifics of our environment:
Hardware:
Windows 2003 64bit
TSM V5.2.3.2 Storage Agent
TSM V5.2.3.1 TSM Client
TSM V5.2.3.2 Server running on Windows 2000
TDP SQL V5.2.1
4-way HP Itanium server with 32 GB RAM

10 STK 9840B drives (19 MB/sec native 70 MB/sec compression)
Emulex 10000 Fibre card (Dual 2 GB port cards) (five 9840 drives per port) for
tape
Emulex 10000 Fibre card (Dual 2 GB port cards) for disk

For the TDP test the server showed 65% CPU utilization on all 4 processors.
The disk subsystem was at 30% for the backup and 20% for the restore according
to our EMC guys.

We ran a single file backup test of a 2 TB file and it backed up to a single
9840 at 100 GB/hr.