ADSM-L

Re: D2D on AIX

2004-09-22 13:17:53
Subject: Re: D2D on AIX
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:19:03 -0700
This is true, I was just wondering if others were seeing the same thing.  We
expected it to take longer but not two to three times as long.  In the end
after compression there would be less data to transfer so we thought there
would be some gain there.

Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM> wrote:
>Tim, we recently ran a bunch of tests on client side compression.
>In every test the backup ran for 2 to 3 times longer. In some cases
>this wouldn't be a big deal when you look at the backup alone being
>incremental and all. However, we also believed that it would also
>cause the restore to run 2 to 3 times as long to uncompress the data.
>As a result of these tests and thoughts we decided not to
>implement client side compression.

Uncompress should be much faster and less cpu intensive than compression.
In compression you are searching for redundant tokens. In uncompression
you are basically performing token substitution.

Rick

The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal
and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you
have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately,
and delete the original message.