ADSM-L

Re: D2D on AIX

2004-09-22 08:44:38
Subject: Re: D2D on AIX
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:45:51 -0400
==> In article <200409211849.i8LIntMh016396 AT vtcat.cc.vt DOT edu>, Eliza Lau
<lau AT VTCAT.CC.VT DOT EDU> writes:

> True. Seek time is tiny compared to tape mounts.  I am just concerned that
> the TSM db has to keep track of thousands of volume.  How much will it
> increase
> the size of the db.  Ours is already 90G at 70% utilized.

It's always a good idea to keep the DB size in the back of your mind; but my
take is that you probably don't need to think too hard about adding something
with size 'thousands' to it.

I started to feel that I had too many volumes at one point when I had remote
server volumes at 2G, and I had several hundred thousands of them.

To help yourself feel more comfortable with this, I suggest that you take a 'Q
occ' of a few nodes you consider "small", "moderate", and "large".  Count the
total number of objects, and compare.  I find that even my small nodes have
hundreds of thousands of objects.

I don't think that the db size per object is particularly close to the size
per volume (i.e. the per-volume overhead is probably much much less) , but you
can get a taste of the general order of how big is big.

- Allen S. Rout