ADSM-L

Re: OT: Flushing 3494 ATL Queue

2004-09-21 12:31:50
Subject: Re: OT: Flushing 3494 ATL Queue
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 12:32:56 -0400
Thanks for the suggestions.

The library won't let us take the drive offline.  I forgot to mention that
we tried that, as well. It simply says that something is in progress and
won't let us disable the drive/controller/frame !  It is very persistant
about letting this process complete !

The CE has run complete diagnostics on the drive. As usually, the
diagnostics showed nothing wrong (I always thought that running
diagnostics simply proves that the drive can run the diagnostics...;--)))
We even ran a cleaning cartridge through it, numerous times, including the
one it thinks it is using !

We tried just pressing the RESET button on the A60. No difference.   Then
we completely powered off the A60. Still nothing.   Even tried unplugging
the connectors on the A60 that go to the RTIC (which the controller, live)
to see if an interrupt of that type would cause the LM to rethink its
position/status of the drive !  Still nothing.

This is why we are going to just shut down the LM

Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
09/21/2004 12:04 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject

On Sep 21, 2004, at 11:16 AM, Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU wrote:

> ...Eventhough the tape drive (3590B) is empty, we can't seem to
> convince the
> ATL that the clean has finished.  Any tape mount that gets assigned to
> this drive (via z/OS) eventually fails since the ATL never completes
> the
> mount process. ...

I'm impressed with your problem pursuit measures, Zoltan - you have
tried
quite a lot.  If your CE is stumped...

I presume that the drive's panel indicates a neutral drive state, rather
than any indication of cleaning. (I would not want to see a situation
where
the OS was for some reason persistently forcing the drive to cleaning
mode.)

Whereas the drive has been reset and power-cycled, it ostensibly doesn't
think that it is in Cleaning mode; but the library still does.  This
might
indicate a problem in communication between library and drive, which
occurs
over the ARTIC manifold of RS-422 cabling...which might be as simple as
loose connection, or may be a fault in some of the electronics.  The CE
should be able to watch the 3494's internal logs as you perform actions
like reset and power cycling on the drive, to see if communication is
happening - particularly comparing its behavior with that of the other
drives.  If the communication is all happening correctly, then something
may be awry in the library database.  I would try to jog state by making
the drive Unavailable then Available at the 3494 operator panel.
An experienced CE should be able to track this down.

       what immediately comes to mind,  Richard Sims