ADSM-L

Re: each dbbackup to new tape?

2004-09-16 16:25:54
Subject: Re: each dbbackup to new tape?
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 16:26:33 -0400
==> In article <F113B4418DDC1940BD1E22F5BD94A521057F67EE AT EXNJMB15.nam.nsroot
DOT net>, "Johnson, Milton" <milton.johnson AT CITIGROUP DOT COM> writes:

> An interesting paper on an obviously VERY large TSM system, involving
> upwards to 40 TSM servers.

Mild correction:  I started off thinking I'd have that many server instances;
That was one of the blind alleys.

I now have only 9, and may be able to reduce that.

But the principal advantage, from my perspective, of the "backup database to
remote server" scheme is that it permits you to keep a copy of your DB backup
onsite, and send a copy offsite.

If you're not using a separate TSM server to accomplish this, you have to
generate multiple DB backups, some snapshots, and each of these is in fact
-different-.

My offsite copies are the same as my onsite.  Perhaps a bit compulsive, but I
like it.

- Allen S. Rout