ADSM-L

Re: each dbbackup to new tape?

2004-09-16 12:16:42
Subject: Re: each dbbackup to new tape?
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 12:17:20 -0400
==> In article <OF734B3080.AD152C1C-ONC1256F10.00481344-C1256F10.0048ABD2 AT
mkv DOT de>, Lucian Greis <lgreis AT MKV DOT DE> writes:

> I'm rather green with TSM, actually working through my first
> client-project with it and have come to a (small for sure) problem
> System: TSM 5.2 on SuSe SLES8, feeding an Adic Scalar24 with one IBM-LTO2.
> Basically, the system works.
> Whenever I command a dbBackup, wether full or incremetal, TSM wants to
> write to a scratch tape only. If i give the volser of a tape used for an
> earlier dbbackup explicitly, TSM says the tape is full (which it is not).
> Can someone point me to the right direction?

My solution to this involved a second server on the same physical hardware.

The DB backups are to remote server volumes, which I can then copy and send
offsite.

I discuss the evolution of my desin in some detail (including some blind
alleys I went down) at:

http://open-systems.ufl.edu/services/NSAM/whitepapers/design.html

- Allen S. Rout