ADSM-L

linux client setup through firewall - what source port?

2004-09-10 16:02:31
Subject: linux client setup through firewall - what source port?
From: "T. Lists" <tracylists AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 13:02:30 -0700
Hey all - I know this one has been asked before, but I
can't seem to find a solution to my problem.  IBM has
been a bit snitty - telling me it's a
"communications/network" problem.  Ok, maybe not
snitty - maybe I'm just having a bad day.

Anyway.

TSM server AIX 5.1, TSM 5.2.0
Linux client TSM 5.2.3

The linux client is in the dmz outside the firewall.
(And, for the record, I've never set up a client that
was outside the firewall)  I've tried both the "method
1" and "method 2" called out in the Unix BA manual.
Now I'm concentrating on "method 1" which is the
method where you open ports on the firewall.

Have asked my firewall admin to open ports 1500, 1501,
1581.  He says they are open.

dsm.sys contains (among other things)
   COMMmethod         TCPip
   TCPPort            1500
   TCPServeraddress   <server ip addr>
   passwordaccess     generate
   schedmode          polling
   nodename           lin01
   tcpclientaddress   <client ip addr>
   httpport           1581
   tcpclientport      1501
   webports           1582  1583

Simply trying a "dsmc inc" from the client eventually
times out with:

   [root@lin01 var]# dsmc inc
   IBM Tivoli Storage Manager
   Command Line Backup/Archive Client Interface -
                Version 5, Release 2, Level 3.0
   (c) Copyright by IBM Corporation and other(s)
                1990, 2004. All Rights Reserved.

   Node Name: LIN01
   ANS1017E Session rejected: TCP/IP connection
                failure

Running a tcpdump during this shows that the
destination port that is trying to be reached is 1500
on the server (which is correct), but the source port
on the client is 32850.  I assume my problem is
because the firewall admin hasn't opened port 32850 -
however from other posts I gather this is a randomly
assigned port on the client?  Is it governed by a
parameter I'm unaware of?  Or, might this  not be my
problem at all?

Any assistance will be appreciated.
Thanks,
T.