ADSM-L

Re: Weird tape utilization

2004-09-08 08:49:17
Subject: Re: Weird tape utilization
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 08:48:07 -0400
Hi, Eric -

For better or worse, this is "historically normal" behavior for the
product - I see it a lot.
A tape will be busy as output for a client session, or be in the
process of dismounting,
and the server will revert to a scratch tape for the second session
which might
otherwise have used that tape. Future sessions may all be singular, and
the second
tape will simply languish. I have an advisory in ADSM QuickFacts for
administrators
to periodically query for such orphans, as a cause of "tape leak". It
would be nice if
the product better dealt with such tapes, but...

   Richard Sims