ADSM-L

INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE and Windows File Protection

2004-09-30 15:56:47
Subject: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE and Windows File Protection
From: Adam Tuliper <amt AT GECKO-SOFTWARE DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 15:41:46 -0400
A Win2k system of ours had to be rebuilt because of a bad
stripe entry in the bad stripe table. We did a base install
of win2k (however looking back realized we didnt install
any sp's on our base installation of windows, and the one
that was being restored had SP3). We restored the files
first, and then the system objects. Upon a reboot after
restoring the system objects we received
inaccessible_boot_device. We repeated this process trying
the base install with the same version raid driver that was
in backup.

Before the reboot once the system object restore finished,
I checked the event log and noticed (among other entries)
that windows file protection was not allowing ipsraidn.sys
to be overwritten with version 4.5.000 from backup, but was
keeping the 3.0 driver that was there. 4.5 I know is what
we needed. After going to a recovery console and replacing
this driver with one from backup, our system finally
booted. Why wasn't the file overwritten? (obviously because
WFP replaced it, but tsm has to take this into account I
would imagine, so what did I do wrong?)
Thanks,
Adam

http://www.nni.com/