ADSM-L

Re: Windows 2003 client, system object and TSM server 5.1.x.x

2004-09-30 08:53:59
Subject: Re: Windows 2003 client, system object and TSM server 5.1.x.x
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 07:54:01 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Doyle, Patrick
>We have just begun deploying Windows 2003 Active Directory and
>Windows 2003 servers. I am researching the level of support in
>TSM  5.1.6.2 for Windows 2003.
>
>It would appear that Windows 2003 IS supported. However, I
>came across the
>following:
>
>"Windows 2003 System State and System Services backups require
>a TSM 5.2.0 or higher server" on the client requirements
>document on the web, and in the Readme. This would indicate
>limited support for Windows 2003, particularly Domain
>controller/ Active Directory backup with 5.1 server.
>
>Do I need to upgrade to TSM server 5.2?
>What level of support exists in 5.1?
>Should I use a 5.2 client with 5.1 server?

In order to properly backup (and be able to restore) Windows 2003 fully,
you should be running a TSM server and TSM clients both at levels 5.2.3
or above. There turned out to be issues with system files and system
state backups in early versions of 5.2. (Besides, if you're going to
upgrade, you might as well upgrade to current versions.)

Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627