ADSM-L

Re: direct attached disk (DAS) at a tape library?

2004-09-27 12:03:12
Subject: Re: direct attached disk (DAS) at a tape library?
From: Jim Sporer <james.sporer AT DOIT.WISC DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:05:54 -0500
EMC also has a tape emulator that goes in front of their ATA storage.  We
couldn't see any benefit to having tape emulation for TSM storage so opted
to just use the ATA storage.
Jim Sporer

At 10:41 AM 9/27/2004 -0500, you wrote:
Overland's Reo series is a DAS wrapped inside a virtual tape emulator.
That costs 3 times as much as the equivalent capacity of DAS. An Overland
Tech rep told me the only difference between a DAS and the Reo is the tape
emulation, and I have no idea why it costs that much. LTO-2 tape is about
2.5 times as much as DAS.

Since we don't do offsite tapes, I'm wondering if we even need tapes or
tape emulation, and can just buy DAS and treat it as spool (tape), just
like you say JC. Does anyone else have any comment? Would love to get
more feedback.

Thanks!

Alex