ADSM-L

Re: Weird tape utilization (the story continues...)

2004-09-27 10:51:37
Subject: Re: Weird tape utilization (the story continues...)
From: "Loon, E.J. van - SPLXM" <Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:23:34 +0200
About two weeks ago I asked on this list how TSM could have more than one
filling tape for a collocated node. We indeed discovered that when TSM
cannot append to an existing filling tape ((during migration, because the
client is backing up directly to that tape or because a client restore is
running) TSM will allocate a new tape and it will not use the 'old' filling
tape anymore. Even when the new one is full, it will not continue to use the
'old' filling one.
Well, I have tried convincing IBM support that this is a bug, but I keep on
receiving the answer that this behavior is 'working as designed'.
So, although you think you have an automated backup application, you will
have to monitor it periodically, because you will waist perfectly good
tapes, which will hang around in you system forever (or at least until ALL
files on it expire, which can take a VERY long time.
The SQL statement Neil created (below) will certainly be useful in this
situation.
Thank you all for your help!
Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon