ADSM-L

Excessive SCSI media errors

2004-09-22 04:05:40
Subject: Excessive SCSI media errors
From: Gordon Woodward <gordon.woodward AT DB DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 17:50:38 +1000
Been having some problems with our Dell Poweredge 136T library with LTO drives
lately, we've been getting alot of bad media errors (ANR8944E) and sparodic I/O
errors (ANR8302E). There is about 6 of our LTO tapes at the moment which have
been experiencing in excess of 180 read errors each, and occassionally they
have hung reclaimation or storage pool backup processes forcing the reboot of
the server.  Several of our other tapes have one or two read errors attributed
to them as well but not to the level of some of the others.

Looking back at the activity log, the errors primarily occur on DRIVE0 and
DRIVE1 in the library (4 LTO drives in total installed). I've run a AUDIT
VOLUME on a couple of the tapes and damaged files were encountered. Drives 0 &
1 do not have their cleaning lights illuminated and they get cleaned every two
weeks or when required. The library's and LTO drives firmware are at the latest
releases supplied by Dell.

The Eventlog for the TSM servers has some of these errors reported in it:

The description for Event ID ( 3 ) in Source ( AdsmScsi ) cannot be found. The
local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL
files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is
part of the event: \Device\mt1.2.0.3, Locate Block ID, DD_DRIVE_OR_MEDIA_FAIL.

The device, \Device\mt1.2.0.3, has a bad block.

I'm unsure whether this is a symptom of our drives needing a service or perhaps
our tapes are getting a bit worn as most have been stored in the library for
the past 3 years and used regularly. Anyone had similar problems in the past?

Environment:

TSM for Windows v5.2.3
TSM Device Driver v5.2.3
Windows 2000 Server w/sp4
Dell PowerEdge 136T Library

Thanks,

Gordon Woodward
Wintel Server Support

notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized
forbidden.