ADSM-L

Re: Antwort: Re: each dbbackup to new tape?

2004-09-15 10:54:35
Subject: Re: Antwort: Re: each dbbackup to new tape?
From: "Johnson, Milton" <milton.johnson AT CITIGROUP DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 10:54:04 -0400
OK, I just have to jump in. If I understand Hoa he:
1) Backs up the TSM database to a disk file
2) backs up that disk file to a TSM disk storage pool using DSM
3) moves that db backup to onsite/offsite tapes using "backup stg" and
migration

If this is so, then what do you do when you have lost your current TSM
database?

In Hoa's case, I guess he can get restore a copy of the db backup from
his server located 11 miles away, if he has vaulted the files their and
that server can restore an that individual file from those "vaulted
tapes".

If however Lucian's case is more typical, having only one hot server,
then I believe your restoration procedure consists of telling your boss
you lost the entire TSM server along with all backups and then posting
your resume on monster.com. Of course you may not want to mention your
most recent employment.

H. Milton Johnson