ADSM-L

Re: Wishlist Item

2004-09-14 12:25:18
Subject: Re: Wishlist Item
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 12:25:06 -0400
Similar experience here.

It SOUNDS like a good idea.  But I actually sat down and took a look at the
problem a couple years ago in response to an inquiry from management.

Our PC hard drives are getting bigger and bigger - not uncommon to have
40-80 GB hard drives now.
As such, the percentage of the drive taken up by things like Windows
executables is going down, down, down.

I took some sample PC's that I thought were "typical", and looked at what we
would save if we could avoid backing up the Windoze executables, and it
turned out to be maybe 300-600MB per desktop, maybe 5% of the hard drive,
BEFORE compression.  (And most of that isn't backed up daily, except as part
of the dreaded Win2K System Object, which is another problem.)

Anyway, throw in compression, GB ethernet, subfile backup capability,
large-capacity tape, etc. I decided that the issue of duplicate files in the
backup store wasn't really very important in the grand scheme of things.

My opinion and nobody else's,
Wanda