ADSM-L

Re: Help with ANR1173E and disk storage pool

2004-09-13 13:20:22
Subject: Re: Help with ANR1173E and disk storage pool
From: Glen Hattrup <ghattrup AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:20:19 -0700
Did you recently switch your offsite pool from non-collocated to
collocated?  Making that switch can cause this to happen.

During offsite reclamation for a collocated pool, the server checks the
clustering information for the objects on the volume being reclaimed.
Clustering information is typically based upon node name, and filespace.

If / when the volume was written in a non-collocated pool, all sorts of
nodes can get thrown onto that volume.  During reclamation processing, the
server will only move one node's data at a time.  Other objects will get
skipped and you'll see the ANR1173E message.  Multiple passes are required
to fully clear the offsite volume.

Some things you can do:
-- Increase the batchsize value you're using.  Set movebatchsize ###
        I believe the default is 40, max is 1000
        I believe the default is 40, max is 1000
-- Issue move data or move node data depending upon how many nodes are on
that volume and / or the nature of the storage pool.
that volume and / or the nature of the storage pool.

An additional step is to have a primary tape pool that the disk pool
migrates to.  The logic for offsite volume reclamation is slightly
different when the copy resides in a tape (sequential) pool instead of on
disk.  The server retries the reclamation (reprocesses the volume) more
when the copies are on tape.

Glen Hattrup
IBM - Tivoli Systems
Tivoli Storage Manager

Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT FIPD.GC DOT CA>
09/13/2004 06:56 AM
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Help with ANR1173E and disk storage pool

TSM server 5.2.3.1 on AIX 5.1 ML 5

On the weekend I got 1300 messages like the following:

09/11/04 10:02:17 ANR1173E Space reclamation for offsite volume(s) cannot
copy file in storage pool DISKDATA_SMALL: Node UNXV, Type Backup, File
space /, fsId 1, File name /DisasterRecoveryPlan/ 20040906.084014.

09/11/04 10:17:24 ANR1173E Space reclamation for offsite volume(s) cannot
copy file in storage pool DISKDATA_FC: Node UNXP, Type Backup, File space
/home/ncss_batch, fsId 5, File name /bin.prod/logs_ncss/log_backup/
frd001s.040806.20:22:39.rpt.

The problem is with two disk storage pools. Although I have several more
disk storage pools, only these two caused problems.

I searched the archives already, but all the help was for tape pools. What
do I do when it is a disk storage pool?

Thanks Miles

Extra info:

tsm: UNXR>q stg diskdata_fc f=d

               Storage Pool Name: DISKDATA_FC
               Storage Pool Type: Primary
               Device Class Name: DISK
         Estimated Capacity (MB): 50 G
                        Pct Util: 74.9
                        Pct Migr: 0.9
                     Pct Logical: 100.0
                    High Mig Pct: 50
                     Low Mig Pct: 0
                 Migration Delay: 0
              Migration Continue: Yes
             Migration Processes: 4
               Next Storage Pool: BACKUP_FC
            Reclaim Storage Pool:
          Maximum Size Threshold: No Limit
                          Access: Read/Write
collocate
               Overflow Location:
           Cache Migrated Files?: Yes
                      Collocate?:
           Reclamation Threshold:
 Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed:
   Delay Period for Volume Reuse:
          Migration in Progress?: No
            Amount Migrated (MB): 650.48
Elapsed Migration Time (seconds): 264
        Reclamation in Progress?:
 Volume Being Migrated/Reclaimed:
  Last Update by (administrator): PURDYM
           Last Update Date/Time: 09/12/04   23:45:16
        Storage Pool Data Format: Native
            Copy Storage Pool(s):
         Continue Copy on Error?:
                        CRC Data: No

tsm: UNXR>q stg backup_fc f=d

               Storage Pool Name: BACKUP_FC
               Storage Pool Type: Primary
               Device Class Name: 3580
         Estimated Capacity (MB): 28 610 G
                        Pct Util: 0.3
                        Pct Migr: 6.7
                     Pct Logical: 100.0
                    High Mig Pct: 99
                     Low Mig Pct: 50
                 Migration Delay: 0
              Migration Continue: Yes
             Migration Processes:
               Next Storage Pool:
            Reclaim Storage Pool:
          Maximum Size Threshold: No Limit
                          Access: Read/Write
collocate
               Overflow Location:
           Cache Migrated Files?:
                      Collocate?: Filespace
           Reclamation Threshold: 99
 Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed: 150
   Delay Period for Volume Reuse: 1 Day(s)
          Migration in Progress?: No
            Amount Migrated (MB): 0.00
Elapsed Migration Time (seconds): 0
        Reclamation in Progress?: No
 Volume Being Migrated/Reclaimed:
  Last Update by (administrator): PURDYM
           Last Update Date/Time: 08/27/03   07:38:04