ADSM-L

Can SCSI error cause errors on LTO2 tapes?

2004-09-13 03:02:58
Subject: Can SCSI error cause errors on LTO2 tapes?
From: Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 03:00:48 -0400
We have a situation where LTO2 tapes written in a 3583 library successfully,
but will fail when it comes time to restore the data from them. When the
tape is mounted for a restore operation..the icon on the 3583 drive shows
that it is seeking, but it never goes anywhere. THe drive just sits there.
No data is transferred. But yet when I do a move data off that volumes, data
comes off. When the tape gets mounted for the restore, in the WIndows event
log we see errors about "The device, \Device\Scsi\symmpi2, is not ready for
access yet.". After this we have to halt the TSM server, reboot the library,
unload the drives and reboot the TSM server. This happens in Windows 2000
and WIndows2003 at both TSM 5.1.7.1 and now at 5.2.3.0 server levels. not
all tapes are doing this. Could that onboard chip in the LTO2 tapes be
causing problems? How would that have gotten corrupted?

Bill Boyer
"An Optimist is just a pessimist with no job experience."  - Scott Adams