ADSM-L

Re: Optimizing Exchange backup/recover?

2004-09-09 20:53:17
Subject: Re: Optimizing Exchange backup/recover?
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 12:09:58 -0700
If this is a 1 GB NIC then you should be getting a lot better speed.  I have
seen 90 GB backup through a 10/100 NIC at around 32 GB/hr.  However, that same
backup ran at over 90 GB/hr strait to tape through a 1 GB NIC.  Is there any
chance that the NIC on the TSM server is either 10/100 or is there a lot of
other things backing up at the same time as the Exchange backup.

This may be a case where speeding up the Exchange backup isn't the issue.  You
may have a tape, disk or NIC constraint on your TSM server. The 22 GB/hr your
getting is as Mark stated not really that good either.

You did mention that it might be waiting on tape due to disk migration.  Might
you also be waiting on availble band width through the NIC on the TSM server.

Still on the client side we have seen slow downs due to disk access issues
reading the disk that the Exchange DB is on.  A long time ago really old DLT
drives slowed things down a bit but now days most drives are capable of far
better than 22 GB/hr.

Just ideas.

"MC Matt Cooper (2838)" <Matt.Cooper AT AMGREETINGS DOT COM> wrote:
Hello all,
I have to backup a pair of exchange servers that (windows 2003) that
each have about 200GB of data. It is taking over 9 hours to do a FULL
backup of the servers. I was wondering what can be done to increase my
throughput. I have found /Buffers= and /Buffersize= as performance
options but nothing else. Are there ways to multithread these backups?

Thanks in Advance
Matt