ADSM-L

Re: Optimizing Exchange backup/recover?

2004-09-09 09:29:28
Subject: Re: Optimizing Exchange backup/recover?
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 08:29:30 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of MC Matt Cooper (2838)
>    I have to backup a pair of exchange servers that (windows
>2003) that each have about 200GB of data.  It is taking over 9
>hours to do a FULL backup of the servers.  I was wondering
>what can be done to increase my
>throughput.  I have found /Buffers=    and /Buffersize=  as performance
>options but nothing else.   Are there ways to multithread
>these backups?

200GB in 9 hours comes out to 6MB/sec. That's not particularly bad for a
10/100Mb network, but not particularly good.

If you're running Exchange 2003, review the TSM for Mail (Exchange)
manual. There may be a way to multithread the backup if Exchange's data
is broken up into storage groups.

Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627