ADSM-L

Re: upgrading tsm 5.1.8.0 to 5.2.2.3 and 3494/3590 driver issues

2004-09-07 12:21:41
Subject: Re: upgrading tsm 5.1.8.0 to 5.2.2.3 and 3494/3590 driver issues
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 12:21:34 -0400
Been there done that.  Nike method, just do it.
Idea scared the dickens out of me, too.
But it really turned out to be a non-problem.

>>>It looks like that the new
TSM version needs to use a new Magstar driver for the 3490s rather than
the TSM SCSI driver.

I'm assuming you mean here 3590's?

As I recall, you have to uninstall 5.1 before you install 5.2.
And the 5.2 TSM SCSI driver will not recognize the 3590's, according to the
doc.
So there isn't much you can hurt.
(If it doesn't work, you'll have to back off 5.2 and reinstall 5.1, anyway.)

1) Download the Magstar drivers and the install guide.
2) Install the Magstar drivers according to the instructions in the book
(which are real simple).
3) Make sure you BACKUP YOUR DB  and devconfig file.  (Not so much because
of the driver upgrade, but because you are uninstalling 5.1, and it's a good
idea ANY TIME you do an upgrade).
4) Uninstall 5.1
5) Install 5.2.
6) You have to re-register your licences.
Away you go.
Check the Quick Start guide to see if there are any other steps I've
forgotten.

I can't remember whether or not we had to delete and redefine the TSM
library and drives - I don't think so.
But if you have problems, that is the first thing I would try.
(Pull the commands out of your old copy of the devconfig file and just
reenter them).

We did 2 systems like this, going from 5.1.6.2 to 5.2.2.2 on WIn2K.
Had NO problems with the driver issue.

You should set the TSM SCSI driver NOT to start at boot (unless you have
some other thing it runs).
Make sure the RSM service is still disabled, which it should be already.

There really wasn't anything else to it.

Wanda Prather
"I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O"  -(me)

--
Steve Bennett, (907) 465-5783