ADSM-L

Re: breaking volume mirror for TSM DB

2004-09-01 20:21:11
Subject: Re: breaking volume mirror for TSM DB
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 19:20:23 -0500
Yuhico, Alexandra wrote:

I have a TSM server with 99.4 % Pct Util and I need to add more space.
The TSM DBs are on mirrored volumes and I don't have enough spare space to
create additional mirrored volumes. I'd like to break the volumes and then
add more space but I can't afford any down time for this.

I can't seem to find any considerations, contingencies in case DEL DBVOL
fails.  I just want to cover all my bases.

Anyone with insight as to what could go wrong and some detailed steps on
doing this would be appreciated.
Ta,
Sandra

This e-mail is privileged and may contain confidential information intended
only for the person(s) named above. If you receive this e-mail
in error, please notify the addressee immediately by telephone or return
e-mail. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer
virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is
virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from
any virus transmitted.

Alexandra,

I think you might not have given us enough info for a clear answer and
therefore you are getting different responses from different people.
What is not clear is whether you TSM DB is mirrored at the OS level or
through TSM using "define dbcopy" commands.  And hopefully not both
places, although in this case that would mean you are going to have the
spare space that you need.  So I will try to explain what you might want
to do in both instances.

First (and hopefully) you are using TSM to do the mirroring. And for the
sake of discussion lets say it looks like this:

db1.dsm -> db1.mir
db2.dsm -> db2.mir

Normally all 4 of these volumes would be on different
disks/filesystems.  In order to double your available space you could
issue the following 5 commands, remember to include the proper paths:

del dbc db1.mir
del dbc db2.mir

These 2 commands are safe and should run fairly fast, however at this
point your DB is no longer afforded the protection that mirroring
offers, everything has a price!

Then you can add the volumes back to TSM with:

def dbv db1.mir
def dbv db2.mir

However you will then need to do an :

extend db XXX

where XXX is the amount to extend the DB in MB's, before it will be
used.  Now your system should show less than 50% DB utilization.

If you were doing OS mirroring then when you do a TSM command of "q dbv"
it list no volumes under copy 2.  What you will need to do is break the
mirror at the OS level.  Since you did not tell us what the OS is I
can't help with that one.  However, I will assume you know how to do
that.  Then once you  have the additional file space  you would need the
following 3 commands:

def dbv db1.mir f=XXX
def dbv db2.mir f=XXX

where XXX is the size of the DB volume you wish to create.  And then of
course you will need to run the extend:

extend db XXX

Same as you did above.

However regardless of which route you go you should get additional disk
space ASAP and get you TSM DB re-mirrored right away and preferable
using the TSM "define dbcopy" approach.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

--
Regards,
Regards,

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE