ADSM-L

Re: breaking volume mirror for TSM DB

2004-09-01 19:42:35
Subject: Re: breaking volume mirror for TSM DB
From: Nathan Reiss <Reiss_Nathan AT CAT DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 18:27:38 -0500
I've never seen a delete dbvol command fail.  Taking a while to run I've
seen.  But outright fail... no.   (Well, not unless I typo'ed something).

You shouldn't have to take any downtime.

The major things to think about  when doing anything with the database is:
is there anything else messing with the database when you do anything with
it?  Don't go adding, deleting or backing up the db if something else is
hammering away on it.  Are you running hot and heavy in the middle of a
bunch of backups?  Is expiration running?

As long as nothing much else is going you should be fine just deleting your
mirror volumes.   Probably deleting the files from the filesystem is best
after deleting them from TSM.  Then create a new db volume with in that
same location.

Something like:

in TSM> delete dbvolume /path/to/file/db1.mirror

in OS> rm /path/to/file/db1.mirror

in TSM> define dbvolume /path/to/file/db99.new -formatsize=####

      This will spawn a TSM process that builds your new db volume.

in TSM> extend db ####

Repeat as needed.

Of course, breaking the mirror isn't a real good idea.  If you can get
space someplace else, that would be a better solution.

David N. Reiss
Disaster Recovery/UNIX Systems Engineer
(309)/494-3749

             "Yuhico,
             Alexandra"
             <alexandra.yuhico
             @ATOSORIGIN.COM>                                           To
             Sent by: "ADSM:                                            To
             Dist Stor                 ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Manager"                                                   cc
             <[email protected]
             .EDU>

             09/01/2004 06:00
             PM                                                    Subject
                                       Re: breaking volume mirror for TSM
                                       DB
             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

Caterpillar: Confidential Green                 Retain Until: 10/01/2004
                                                Retention Category:  G90 -
                                                General
                                                Matters/Administration

I have a TSM server with 99.4 % Pct Util and I need to add more space.
The TSM DBs are on mirrored volumes and I don't have enough spare space to
create additional mirrored volumes. I'd like to break the volumes and then
add more space but I can't afford any down time for this.

I can't seem to find any considerations, contingencies in case DEL DBVOL
fails.  I just want to cover all my bases.

Anyone with insight as to what could go wrong and some detailed steps on
doing this would be appreciated.
Ta,
Sandra

This e-mail is privileged and may contain confidential information intended
only for the person(s) named above. If you receive this e-mail
in error, please notify the addressee immediately by telephone or return
e-mail. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer
virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is
virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from
any virus transmitted.