ADSM-L

Re: Include/Exclude Question

2004-09-01 10:54:03
Subject: Re: Include/Exclude Question
From: Mike <mikee AT MIKEE.ATH DOT CX>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 09:53:53 -0500
On Wed, 01 Sep 2004, Stapleton, Mark wrote:

> >On Wed, 01 Sep 2004, Jones, Kelli wrote:
> >> Server:
> >> TSM 5.1.7.0
> >> AIX 5.1
> >> Client:
> >> NT 4.0
> >>We need to set up include/exclude statements for a node that
> >>has drives C thru M.  We need to back up only C, G and J.  How
> >>do I set up options file to back up only those drives (and
> >>everything on them minus various system file) and nothing on
> >>the other drives.
>
> From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
> Behalf Of Mike
> >You can use the domain statement (domain c:\), but I think it
> >would be better to not use any domain statements and exclude
> >the drives with (exclude d:\...\*).
>
> The domain statement would be one line, and (I suspect) more efficient,
> since there would be no filtering involved:
>
>         domain c: g: j:
>
> Also, if you add more drive letters to the node, the above domain
> statement would not require modification.

True, but if you add more drives that need backing up and
forget to modify the domain statement, then have a problem,
you don't have the files backed up. I prefer to backup too
much and then expire what I don't need. By not using the
domain statement you automatically get everything that is
not excluded.

Mike