ADSM-L

Re: Oracle Backups, HELP!!!!

2004-08-31 11:29:29
Subject: Re: Oracle Backups, HELP!!!!
From: Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:30:20 -0400
Oracle databases are not files that can be handled with the normal TSM
incremental backup.  In a sense, the incremental backup for a Oracle
database are the logs.  TDP for Oracle is basically a RMAN interface.  I
would agree with your dba's - it's doesn't buy you that much.  You would
still need to do full, incremental, and archive log backups.

While not the same, we are doing much the same thing.  For the vast
majority of our databases, we copy/compress the db to local disk, then have
TSM just grab the backup files.    Some databases we backup once per week,
others several times per week in a mixture of hot (online) and cold
(offline - db shutdown).  We also throw in a healthy mixture of full
exports to force a integrity check of the db.  It all depends upon the
needs of the individual database.  The retension is usually around 30 days,
with some longer and some shorter.  Archive logs are kept for the same
retension as the backups.

The single biggest factor in how often we perform a db backup is how long
it would take to roll forware the logs up to the current time.

We continually fight the retension period for backups.  The DBA's and users
will want as many backups as possible and keep them for as long as
possible.  But this costs money.  The BEST way we've found to handle is to
show the cost of backups.  Most people do not understand the costs of their
backup system (and I'm NOT saying we understand ours!!!!!!!).  It's not
just the tapes.  It includes the processor, os,  backup software,
libraries, tapes/media/disk, admin time, dr costs.    In other words, if
you think they are keeping way too much, show the cost of what they're
doing and the savings if they change.

At one point we we were doing daily backups of a very large SAP database (6
hots and 1 cold per week).  We showed that with growth we were going to
have to purchase more tape drives and another library.  Working with the
DBA's and Unix admins, we were able to show that a 48 hour roll forward
would only take several hours, so a decision was made to cut the backups to
3 times per week (2 hot and 1 cold).

Rick

                      Joni Moyer
                      <joni.moyer@HIGHM        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      ARK.COM>                 cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Oracle Backups,
HELP!!!!
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      08/31/2004 08:02
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Hello All!

The users that backup Oracle databases do not use TDP for Oracle.  They
have said in the past that it doesn't provide the functionality and
flexibility of what they are currently using.  Currently they do a full
archive of their databases to TSM with a 65 day management class once a
week and they also clear their logs every 15 minutes with the same
retention period.  I know that this is wasting a massive amount of
resources and that it is the incorrect way to utilize TSM.  Does anyone
have any suggestions/help/advice on what to do in this situation?  What is
everyone doing for your Oracle database backups?  Thank you in advance for
any help with this issue!  I have been arguing for years and I am fed up
with the wasted space, etc.

********************************
Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems
Work:(717)302-6603
Fax:(717)302-5974
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com

The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal
and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you
have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately,
and delete the original message.