ADSM-L

Oracle Backups, HELP!!!!

2004-08-31 08:01:05
Subject: Oracle Backups, HELP!!!!
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 08:02:15 -0400
Hello All!

The users that backup Oracle databases do not use TDP for Oracle.  They
have said in the past that it doesn't provide the functionality and
flexibility of what they are currently using.  Currently they do a full
archive of their databases to TSM with a 65 day management class once a
week and they also clear their logs every 15 minutes with the same
retention period.  I know that this is wasting a massive amount of
resources and that it is the incorrect way to utilize TSM.  Does anyone
have any suggestions/help/advice on what to do in this situation?  What is
everyone doing for your Oracle database backups?  Thank you in advance for
any help with this issue!  I have been arguing for years and I am fed up
with the wasted space, etc.

Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems