ADSM-L

Storage Pool Hierarchy

2004-08-30 11:02:31
Subject: Storage Pool Hierarchy
From: Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:03:29 -0400
Hello All!

I know that this is a common sense question concerning storage pools, but I
was just hoping that there is some type of logical answer.  In the
beginning I was going to create 5 domains by platform and have a disk pool,
onsite tape pool and offsite copy pool for each.  Now I am beginning to
wonder if I don't want to get even more granular than that.  Due to the
fact that we cannot afford to have our copy pools collocated, but we do
need the data stored in a less fragmented format.  My question is:  does it
make sense to create more domains or do I just create multiple storage pool
hierarchies?  For example, in a UNIX environment should I create 3
different UNIX domains for Solaris Applications, AIX Notes and AIX
Applications or do I just create 3 different storage pool hierarchies?
Also, if I choose this route than how do I specify a default management
class when I would want 3 different ones?  Maybe I am answering my own
question here, but any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems
Work:(717)302-6603