ADSM-L

Question on a new network link proposed

2004-08-27 15:05:20
Subject: Question on a new network link proposed
From: Shannon Bach <SBach AT MGE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:05:55 -0500

There's some new construction going on in a remote site which will have their own Data Center(they will not be able to use our LAN because of some of the applications running). They want their servers to be backed-up by my TSM Server but because of the network configuration proposed, I have questions if this would be feasible.  I'm hoping some of you Guru's can shed some light and give me some food for thought.

There will be two Client Servers that will need to be backed-up, they will most likely be Win2000's, but I'm still waiting for confirmation on that.  The current network link proposed is a WAN with a 1.5 meg T1.

I believe this would be way too slow to even be worth while but they want to send the backups through this Data Center
i stead of having a stand alone backup.  We currently have an MVS/OS390 5.1.7 TSM Server, with plans to go to 5.2 for Z-OS by October.  The Network person in charge thinks he could request 10 megs for the T1, but how much would this help for band width and speed?

Any help or ideas will be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Shannon Bach
Operations Analyst
IMS Data Center Services