ADSM-L

Re: Export quesion

2004-08-26 20:12:02
Subject: Re: Export quesion
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 19:12:59 -0500
Mark,

<one's_opinion_mode>

Any machine that has 3.7TB worth of files is *begging* to be broken up
into multiple node names, each node responsible for backing up a portion
of a physical machine. Particularly if you're using slow tape technology
like DLT.

</one's_opinion_mode>

I agree with you, and in fact, we've done that with our main file servers.
 But this is a Domino TDP node - all the databases (about 1000) and the
entire history of its transaction log.
I suppose I could have exported the databases and logs separately, but
that would have just turned a nine-day export into two five-day exports.
It should be possible for TSM to do a checkpoint at the end of every
filled volume.

As for our DLTs, they are slower than LTOs, but when we bought the 4/40
three years ago, it was a "Cadillac" compared to our old one-drive DLT
4000 autoloader.  Our offsite tape throughput went from 2.5 MB/s to 32
MB/s.  And three years ago, LTO-1 was just being introduced.  We didn't
think they were a suitable DR medium because of that newness.  We only use
DLT for offsite.  Onsite we use LTO-1 and 3570, and hope to begin using a
VTL by next year.

Thanks for your feedback.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram, L.L.C.

"Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
08/26/2004 06:55 PM