ADSM-L

Re: Export quesion

2004-08-26 19:54:56
Subject: Re: Export quesion
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:55:53 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Tab Trepagnier
>This is an opportunity for an enhancement.  I've been bit by
>that situation also.
>
>The problem is that an export is a single transaction.  Either
>it fails or it succeeds.  As I write this I'm holding my
>breath hoping that the last 100 GB of the current  _3.7 TB_
>export complete without a problem.  It has been running for
>eight days now and has survived two "dropped tape"
>events by our 3583 LTO and is currently writing DLT # 64 in
>our HP 4/40.

<one's_opinion_mode>

Any machine that has 3.7TB worth of files is *begging* to be broken up
into multiple node names, each node responsible for backing up a portion
of a physical machine. Particularly if you're using slow tape technology
like DLT.

</one's_opinion_mode>

Exports have been notoriously slow to write (and read) from ADSM/TSM
first iteration. (This is one reason why you can now export directly
from one TSM server to another.) Did you perform a MOVE NODEDATA prior
to the export? If you didn't, and the node is not collocated, you made
your life far harder than it had to be.

Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627