ADSM-L

Re: Need help with select command

2004-08-26 15:06:43
Subject: Re: Need help with select command
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 14:07:19 -0500
Karla Ross wrote:

I am trying to find the tapes needed to recover only the "active" backups
of a client.  I used the following select command and it gives me a list of
all tapes for all backups of that client.  How can I narrow the search to
just "active" backups?

select volume_name,filespace_name from volumeusage where -
node_name='CLIENT NAME' and stgpool_name='STGPOOL'

Hi,

I am sure I could write one for you but before I do that do you realize
that this will be a massive DB search and suck up a lot of CPU, Memory
and I/O cycles to do this.  This will be a massive search especially if
you have a large number of nodes with a large number of files.  The info
you need is spread across to different tables, contents and backups, so
you will have to generate a list of the active files from the backups
table and then search the contents table for matching volumes.  This is
doable but it will take a long time to run and use  lots of resources.

Are you still interested?

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE