ADSM-L

Re: Need to keep data for a client forever

2004-08-26 13:17:35
Subject: Re: Need to keep data for a client forever
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:17:55 -0400
> I use TSM 5.1.6.0 and have a situation where they need me to not expire any
> data for
> A particular node [including those already backed up].  There is a lot of
> clients using same policy /management class that should not have their
> expiration changed. I would like to know what would be the cleanest way to
> accomplish this.  We backup about 500GB/week for this node [just to give an
> idea of data size if I have to do a move nodedata]

Offhand, I can think of only one reasonable approach:

1.Use 'copy domain' to create a copy of the policy domain the node is in.
2.Update the retention parameters in the copy groups in the new domain.
3.Activate the appropriate policy set.
4.Use 'update node' to move the node to the new policy domain.

If the node has scheduled backups, you will need to copy the schedule
from the old domain and associate it with the node. You might need to
restart the client scheduler process or service. We have always found
this necessary when moving clients that use the prompted scheduling
mode. Reports from other sites suggest that the restart is not
necessary for clients that use the polling mode.